Fight stress with food! Yes, food! We’ve all heard the saying, “you are what you eat.” But is there really validity behind that? After some research, we realized this is true. The foods you eat can affect the way you feel, sleep, energy levels, and mental stamina.
So, can the food you eat control stress too? YES!
Caffeine and alcohol are two things to avoid if stress is having a greater impact on your life. This is because stimulants and depressants can zap your enzymes and steal some of your fuel. You need this fuel and energy to cope with tension and the stressors life throws at us.
Another substance to avoid is SUGAR! We know, NOT THE SUGAR, but yes. This is because they increase your blood sugar levels and decrease rapidly. This is exactly what happens with your energy levels as well, a quick spike and then rapid decline.
Now that we told you what NOT to do, let us talk about what you can do.
There are a variety of superfoods that can provide you energy and nutrition to have the mental stability to better handle stress. These foods include
- Asaparagus – high in folic acid, helps to level out mood
- Vitamin B – high in folic acid, helps produce serotonin (chemical that makes you feel good)
- Beef – high levels of iron, zinc, and vitamin B
- Milk – a lot of people have opinions on this one but it is full of protein, calcium, and antioxidants. (Try pairing low fat milk with a whole-gran cereal.)
- Almonds – high in magnesium, zinc, B2, C, and E vitamins
Moral of the story, if you’re feeling more stressed than normal, check your diet! A few changes might really help.