Zucchini noodles are all the rage right now but sometimes you can’t replace good ole fashion pasta! This dish features linguine and zucchini with a basil cream. Also, linguine and zucchini is kind of fun to say. Say it 3x fast if you can.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces thickly sliced pancetta, cut into narrow strips
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into paper-thin slices
- 6 to 8 small to medium zucchini or other summer squash, sliced into thin coins
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 large fresh basil leaves, cut into narrow strips (chiffonade)
- 1 pound dried linguine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Next, saute the Pancetta, stir frequently for about 10 minutes. The pancetta should be slightly crispy.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and stir in the garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. The garlic should soften but not brown.
- Add the zucchini, salt, and pepper. Cook slowly over medium heat for about 30 minutes. Make sure to gently stir. Zucchini should be tender.
- Stir in the cream and cook until it has thickened. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add the basil. Mix together gently.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Make sure to salt the water. Once boiling, add the pasta. Cook pasta based on instructions of the box.
- Once pasta is done, reserve 1 cup of the water and drain the rest. Also, you will want to reheat your sauce on medium-low now.
- Once the sauce is warm again, transfer the pasta to the frying pan. Toss together. If the sauce isn’t loose, use the reserve cup of water and slowly add.
- For the final steps, add the Parmigiano and Pecorino cheeses and toss again.
- If it’s completely tossed, serve in a bowl or plate. Enjoy!
You May Also Like: