This is a Recipes4theWeek favorite! Mama Pre’s Special Beef Stew will warm your soul and fill your belly. We admit this will take a few hours to make so it’s definitely not something you can throw together last minute, but we promise it’s worth it. It also reheats great to make the perfect leftover. Feel free to play around with the vegetables, we chose carrots and potatoes but a little celery or fresh parsley compliments this dish too.
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck (well-marbled), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into one-inch chunks on a diagonal
- 1 pound small white boiling potatoes, cut in half
- Preheat the oven 325°F
- Take the beef and pat it dry, season with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven or large oven safe pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat until the oil is hot.
- Brown the meat, about 5 minutes. Turn meat during 5 minutes to evenly brown all sides. Remove beef from pot after browning.
- Add onions, garlic, and balsamic vinegar to the pot. Stir often, make sure to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the tomato paste, cook for a minute more.
- Add the beef back to pan, including its juices. Sprinkle with flour and stir until the flour is dissolved.
- Add the wine, beef broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, and sugar. Stir and then bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid and transfer to the oven. Braise for 2 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add the carrots and the potatoes. Put the lid back and put it back in the oven for an additional hour.
- If the meat is tender, the broth is thick, and the vegetables soft, you are ready to enjoy!